All the Kansas City poetry slams we know about…
If you know about a Kansas City poetry slam that isn’t on this list, make sure you let us know about it with the form at the bottom of the page.
- Jazz Poetry Jams – Hosted by the American Jazz Museum. Every third Tuesday of the month, 7:00 pm – 10:30 pm. Has an out of town or leading local feature poet, then an open mic contest. One of the biggest and best Kansas City poetry slams each month. $100 prize for 1st place, $75 for second place, $25 for third place, and $25 for been teen poet. $5 cover, all ages. Blue Room, 1616 E.18th St. Kansas City, Missouri 64108 816.474.8463, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Teen Poetry Slam – Hosted by the American Jazz Museum. Every fourth Tuesday during the school year. The best Kansas City poetry slam for developing poets – the best ones earn spots for teens from Kansas City poetry slams to compete at the national brave new voices competition. 7:00 pm – 9:30 pm. All ages, $5 to raise funds for Brave New Voices team. Blue Room, 1616 E.18th St. Kansas City, Missouri 64108 816.474.8463, email@example.com
- The Olympics of the Mind. Every 4th Saturday 7-10 pm. The House of Poets, 3132 Troost ave, Kansas City, MO 64109. $5, all ages, contact The Music and More Foundation or eight one six – 612-7640 or kdpublishingdotcom at gmail.com
- Poetic Notes – Hosted by Jason Betts. Every Sunday night at 8 pm., $5 cover. Location changes often. Check their Facebook page for updates.
- Soul Sessions – Hosted by Simeon Taylor. Every Monday night at 8:30 pm. 21+, $5 cover. “The best $5 you can spend.” Juke House 1700 E. 18th St., Kansas City, MO.
- Main Street Rag. Hosted by the Writer’s Place. 2nd Sunday of each month at 7:00 pm. Free, all ages. 3607 Pennsylvania, Kansas City, MO. Rag co-founder Shawn Pavey says, “We want to promote poets who are writing strong work but may not be associated with a university or maybe don’t have a book deal.”
- Prospero’s Pit at Propero’s Book Store. Does your poem work for both the page and stage? Know your literary quality and not just the Kansas City poetry slam and glam….Sometimes features out of town poet – 4th Sunday of each month, 6:00 pm. Free, all ages. 1800 W. 39th St., Kansas City, MO.
- ULit – every other Wednesday, 10 pm. Hosted by Resonance and Bonafyde G. 21+, $5 cover. Location changes. Check their Facebook page for updates.
- Puppet Slam – every second Friday and Saturday of the month, 8 pm. Paul Mesner Puppets. $10. 18-or-over. Kansas City poetry slam with a creative twist and often regional performers. Paul Mesner Puppet Studio, 1006 East Linwood Boulevard, Kansas City, 816-756-3500
Events all across Missouri and Kansas:
Looking for a Kansas City poetry slam but moved to Wichita? Try some of these excellent events or use the form below to add your event to the listing….
- Poetic Justice Cafe – every Friday, open mic 8 pm. Youth Slams (under 19) every last Saturday of the month, 7 pm. Cash or in-kind donations depending on event. Adult Slam every 2nd Saturday of the month, 7 pm. 1st, 2nd, 3rd place prizes available. Looking for a team to compete in the national poetry slam. 300 S Greenwich Rd Ste 151, Wichita, KS 67207, (316) 613-2295
- The Donut Whole – Open mic once a month, date varies. 1720 East Douglas Avenue, Wichita, KS 67214-4212, (316) 262-3700
- Riverside Perk – Open mic once a month. 1144 North Bitting Avenue Wichita, KS 67203 (316) 264-6464
- Fresh Ink Poetry Slurr, Hosted by Sara Miss Conception Glass – Every First Wednesday of the Month, 7 pm, $3 cover, 21+, The Jazzhaus of Lawrence 926.5 Massachusettes Lawrence, KS
- Writers Place Poetry Series, Third Tuesday of every month, 7 p.m., @ Johnson County Library, Central Resource Branch 9875 W. 87th St
- VALA Art Gallery Open Mic: Third Thursday of each month, 7 pm, VALA Art Gallery, 5834 Johnson Drive, Mission, KS, 66202, 913-826-6858
- Missouri Poetry Slam. Check out their website at: http://www.mopoetry.com/ and their Facebook page.
- Rhyme Will Tell Open Mic Poetry Reading. First Tuesday of every month, 7 p.m. @ Hattie’s Fine Coffee 4195 Somerset Drive, Springfield, MO. Poems don’t necessarily have to rhyme.
- Orr Street Studios – Tues and Thursday nights at 7 pm. Hosted by Karen Pojmann. All ages. No cover. 106 Orr Street, Columbia, Missouri
- Gaines-Oldham Black Cultural Center – Third Thursday at 6 pm. Hosted by Kiara Lanier. All ages. No cover. 813 Virginia Avenue, Columbia, MO 65211
St. Louis, MO:
- Legacy Books and Cafe – every Friday night at 9 pm. 18+, $7 cover. 5249 Delmar, St. Louis, MO, 63108
- SoulStage – Hosted by Xplicit. varied locations. 18+, $7 cover. Contact three zero nine 706-8461 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The website is soulonline.com.
- Hustle and Flow – last Monday of the month at 6 pm.
- Benton Club – Monday nights
Use this form to add or update your Missouri/Kansas and Kansas City poetry slam listing: